Saturday, November 18, 2006

What is a concept? In design, practically everyone seems to start with a ‘concept’...that’s first thing we say when we start explaining the creases we’ve made on the paper. “My concept is to continue the greenery...”, “basically im trying to realize the movement patterns of the people inhabiting the area...”, “ the main idea behind my design is that im placing this in the rural context and reacting to the temple...”. To any ordinary person, would it not sound like an excuse to justify the design? Why would anybody possibly pick one of the ten thousand and three implications of the site/climate/function? Why single out one thing?


I like reading the harry potter books. And so do twenty five million people in the world. I don’t know if the reasons of liking are the same. They couldn’t possibly be. People are different, u see. Somehow I feel that these set of books have so many layers above the primary understanding of ‘children’s fantasy books’. I love the way she writes, the commas, semi colons, the capitals. Im in love with the way she has realized emotions and reactions by alphabets. I love the idea of someone not knowing anything whatsoever about his own world, and the entire thing unfolding to him. Same here. Noone told me what architecture is. Nobody can. I didn’t know what topics I would study in my third semester. I don’t know what subjects I will be studying in my seventh semester. In the harry potter books, I can see that rowling is trying to make us understand life’s choices; they cannot be made for you, they have to be made by you. Even if you are the chosen one. Being famous is one thing, but coping with it is another. People think that if they’re famous, their life is made. With great power comes great responsibility. Not everybody can handle it. I understand that now.


I must make a new phone number list. That would be the third, if I made it. It is becoming less and less important, the telephone, what with all the electronic substitutes. I don’t call everyone who pictures on the list. There are plenty of additions to the list in the informal way, in colour pencil, pen, sketch-pen, et al. I do use a wide variety of markers.


Paper. Pencil. Pen.
The sound of a pencil scratching a hand-made paper, the thinness of paper- its two-dimensional existence, the random scribbles of pen on a butter paper, the deep scratches made by a three-h pencil on board, the non straightness of lines in a sketch, the sounds of a pencil turning inside a sharpner, the beauty of holding a pencil- bending it to ur mind...
i cannot live without these.
They are my vocabulary.
They give me my most unique identity.

No comments: