Friday, July 18, 2008

How important was architecture in ‘The Matrix’? Why was the room Neo and Trinity took the guns from, all white? Why was it floorless, windowless, wall-less and roof-less? What is that kind of architecture trying to evoke? If you wanted to sketch that room, how would you? There are no planes, no light and thus no shadow; no furniture, flooring, or roof; no tree, grass or sky. And yet, it is a space. It evokes emotion; it occupies virtual space- it exists in the mind, but it exists. How would you draw it?



It was a moment; and as a moment I shall remember it- it is amusing how we recall times we live in real-time as snap shots; photographs, almost. That photo is surreal, as are all we tend to remember- light flooding in from behind her, and bringing along with it a huge gust of wind- I will remember it as a muted detail- I do not recall what we were giggling about; only that we were giggling...“We always romanticize the past and dramatize the future, but never express the present”, Sanjay Mohe told me- it is a mighty detail that goes unnoticed...Every single moment, every photograph, every conversation in Mindspace has been precious to me- it was the pre-decided romanticism of the past that the future is going to be.



It is not everyday that one gets to watch Sanjay Mohe sketching- and when I did, I wrote this-
I see the big, thick lines covering the site; fast and accurate in thought, they look down into the site...Once the lines rest, the pondering begins- there are views, details and scribbles all in company of the big lines- it is almost as if the small ones scatter around the source- the sheet is rich, heavy, and precious. And this is only the beginning.



I have an abnormally large nose. I think it could easily pass off as a batata-wada. Also, the centreline of my nose and that of my face do not coincide- much like the difference between the magnetic and rotating axes of the earth- manufacturing defects, they are. :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was searching for mohe and found you...
well good and more than anything, you write pretty well and would love to see you building...if you do.
i am an architecture student...in mumbai.
and yup would like to link your blog to mine if you permit...

Amrita Kulkarni said...

of course you can link my blog to yours! nice to see that someone is forthcoming enough to comment! Where in mumbai do u study? Mail me, and we can get in touch.

Manish Mishra said...

yup anytime...and dun worry blog is like us...it takes its time 2 get mature and interactive...

i study in dy patil mumbai, final year, right now working with Nuru Karim...and visit my blog if you like...
parroting.wordpress.com

cya

Manish Mishra said...

manish mishra and relaxedstud(ent) is same me...
i've 2 blog at blogspot as well...which i dont use now but kept it 4 future purpose...

my main blog is parroting.wordpress.com

MomeNt in a MoMent said...

hey im sherlin here from rv iv seen u dono if ur familiar with me ...... nice write up :) doin my thesis now i like mohe's work can i mail u?
ur id plz

Amrita Kulkarni said...

hey Sherlin- I remember speaking to you- last year, i think, when mohe gave a talk at the annual exhibition at rvsa..
Of course you can email me- my email address is amritapk@gmail.com

Unknown said...

one word for the write up - WOW!! well..technically that isn't a "word" but u get the point, don't you? i'm assumin u are a very concerned student of architecture considerin the write up...n i think the world needs architects like urself..good luck with everything! n i'd love to stay in touch with u..if u don't mind i.e..i'm studyin architecture too..just done with my 1st year...we had sanjay mohe and edgar demello come to our college..both of them absolutely amazin architects..truly inspirin..but i'd like to c more of their work..could u suggest sites perhaps?

Anonymous said...

I agree with told all above. We can communicate on this theme. Here or in PM.

Anonymous said...

heya!.... just came acros tis blog... read a couple o posts... n i must say... they're 'sooper' fun .... random, quirky.. well u got me hooked (=... luck wit watver it is ur doin =)

an aftr thought...im in Rv too.. 2nd yr.... (=

Amrita Kulkarni said...

Glad to get some thoughts flowing in everyone's heads !

Doodle diary said...

Hey, dis is Rahema an architecture student from delhi...actuly i was searchin for sanjay mohe and found dis blog (doing dissertation on him)...need a favour...cud u plzz mail me smthin related to him...
id - shah786r@gmail.com