Saturday, October 6, 2007

The population of china is greater than that of India by an amount (almost) equal to the population of US. Bizarre?


I watched a show called ‘jhalak dikhlaa jaa’ on TV yesterday. Not bad. I was thinking that if I was one of the judges, I wouldn’t be so loose with the words, though. Their comments weren’t specific; they were simply using words like ‘fabulous’, ‘wonderful’, ‘fantastic’- they might as well have read out from a thesaurus. When this program went in for a commercial break, we switched to another program, a singing competition. I realized that the judges there, too, were generalizing their comments- I was disappointed. I watched on, nonetheless. Then came the turn of two guys, and together they sang the old song- ‘Laaga chunari mein daag’...I simply loved the performance. It was beautiful; it was one of the best I have ever heard. When the turn of the comments came, the judges started again- ‘fantastic’, ‘fabulous’, and ‘wonderful’. Such a pity. The words seem so diluted; so shallow. I would really be more careful with my words if I were a judge on that stage.



Sometimes I feel bad for ‘non-sportspersons’-- the ones who miss half the fun in life, and don’t even know it. They don’t know what it is like to play a tournament as a team- how it is to feel thrilled by the first win; how it is to almost lose and emerge victorious... We all watch sports; we enjoy screaming and cheering on. But does everyone know how it feels like to be there on the field, actually playing? I do. It’s brilliant. I know how it feels to lose to a home crowd- I will never forget that moment, never. I will never forget that wave of bursting applause- meant not for us, but them... I will never forget how nothing else matters when you’re on court- the heat, the crowd, the noise, the dust or the hooting; only the volleyball does. I know how it feels to have almost given up playing, and then getting the chance to play once again- once last time..I will not give this up for anything in the world.

2 comments:

The Paradox said...

Guess its your signature style to move from para to para changing topics with a loosely coupled connection. The last para though reminded of my passion for basketball .... oh yeah the heat , the pressure , the thrill the last secs !!

Cheers To sports and its thrills !!

Amrita Kulkarni said...

YEAH! :)