Thursday, February 15, 2007

Interior design is the exploration into materials, textures and colour. The basic framework remains the same. Somehow I don’t like it. Architecture is very, very different from this understanding- it is the creation, or the formation. It is not about decoration, but about psychology of space. My understanding of interior design, as of today, is limited to small spaces, mostly residences. In magazines like inside outside, what comes across about interior design is that it’s all about being creative with materials; how you can roll what, and stick where. It does not speak about why the sofa is as wide as it is, or why seating has been restricted to this area/shape; how the selected materials have been arrived at, or how tall the wardrobe is. The wardrobe is always of the same height; the sofa is always as wide as it has always been. Circulation patterns and the physical dimensions of the space are determined by its architecture. Interior design is more-so the matching of patterns. Sheesh. Some interior designer is going to kill me soon. The thing is, I want to understand, I want to appreciate it. Maybe I’m not looking in the right places. Hmm...


How important is one’s age for acquiring experience? Does experience inevitably go hand in hand with age? Especially in this time period, in a city like Bangalore. Does my dad know more about mistakes made in the teenage or do I? He has experience; he has been through it himself, and also seen dozens of others through it. He has had two decades to reflect upon it. I, on the other hand, have just about crossed it. Or so I believe. But I claim to know more about the attitude of teenagers today and thus their mistakes, than my father. Am I right? I wonder if I’m going to contradict myself once I have had two decades to reflect upon these years.


Why is it so difficult to be different? Why does almost everything I see around me belong to one category- ‘ordinary’? It wonders me- it should actually be the opposite, right? Isn’t it always difficult for everything to be same? Isn’t it difficult for 20 dancers to synchronise? It’s impossible for two people to think in the same exact way. Still there are few who are ‘different’. Why are multi millionaires so rare? Why is ‘doing-things-differently’ considered great? Why am I always looking for that something ‘different’? Everyone knows what being ‘different’ means, everyone wants to be different. ‘Alag’. Still no luck. What’s the point?

No comments: